Our Japanese Yakitori Chicken recipe gives you a traditional street food experience in your own home!
Japanese Yakitori-ya are small take out food shops which specialize in yakitori chicken. People buy these portable snacks on sticks to eat them on the run or take home. We figure cooking them at home saves time!
Tasty Things are Served On Sticks!
Everyone knows that anything on a stick is instantly more delicious. We double skewered the chicken, and the reason? Using this method not only helps the chicken cook evenly, it allows them to take on more sauce. It’s a reasonable thought, that this is more delicious becaise it has two sticks per serve. We do eat with our eyes first!
What makes Japanese Yakitori Chicken So Delicious?
Let’s not argue about this. Caramelized chicken has something really special about it. The chicken plays a big part in the allure of this dish. Oh, but the sauce! that thick and sticky, salty, and sweet sauce come on.
The combination of salty soy sauce, chicken stock, caster sugar, and mirin gives the glaze a delicious umami. Don’t just take our word for it, try making it yourself!
Marinate Your Skewers!
That’s right, before you marinate the chicken, take a moment to marinate (soak) the skewers in water of course! Soaking the skewers in water prevents them from burning on the grill.
Wear an Apron!
We should say; This dish can get messy, so don’t wear white. You need a hot grill to achieve wonderful caramelization and that means there will be some spatter. Just a friendly word of warning, I don’t know how many times it took us to learn that one!
Thinking of Making it Yourself?
Don’t let the amount of ingredients intimidate you. First, print out the recipe and tick off all the things you already have. Then you will have a small and convenient list to take to the store. Preparation saves time. It’s difficult to resist marching ahead quickly, but getting all your ducks in order helps a lot. Even if it’s chicken you’re cooking.
Make it Now With This Simple Cooking At Home Is Fun Recipe:
Japanese Yakitori Chicken
- hot plate
- 1 kg chicken thighs cut into 4cm pieces
- 10 spring onions cut into 4cm lengths
- 125 ml premium soy
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 60 ml mirin
- 60 ml chicken stock
- Wooden skewers soaked in water
- Flavour so good it needs two sticks to keep it in place!
- In a small saucepan, combine: soy, caster sugar, mirin and chicken stock. Using medium-high heat, bring ingredients to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Drain the skewers, then thread the chicken and spring onions the skewers, alternating the chicken and spring onions. Coat skewers in the cooled sauce mixture.
- On a medium flat plate grill, cook skewers for 6-7 minutes, turning regularly and basting with the remaining sauce.