Cook this Beef Cheek Ragu. This wonderful bowl of carbs and super tender beef is guaranteed to delight the whole family. It’s a slow-cook recipe, so you will need to put a little time aside to cook it. A side benefit is that the house fills with wonderful aromas while you’re waiting around for it to cook!
The Advantage of Slow Cooking
Slow cooking has many advantages in the kitchen. It’s not the most difficult cooking style of cooking for one. Cooking low and slow makes it hard to burn, it’s great for big family meals, winter warmers, and more.
Beef Cheek Ragu Uses Cheap Cuts of Meat
Slow cooking allows you to utilize the cheaper cuts of meat too. You can easily transform them into amazingly delicious creations because all the tough connective tissue melts away into the meat. Cuts like shoulder, chuck, and brisket might easily become one of your next favorites.
Pappardelle – The Pasta of Choice!
A big flavor needs an equally big pasta to carry it through so we chose the generously wide pappardelle style pasta, its thick ribbons match well with this chunky ragu.
Italian cooking is a pastime we love to entertain. It’s something that the whole family can join in with too which is part of the charm. That it’s one of the most simple food categories to cook is a bonus too. When making pasta, especially one with a tomato-based sauce, try dragging the pasta straight from the boiling water to the pan with sauce. The starchy water helps with flavor and mouth-feel. Everyone should have at least three go-to Italian meals and we think this should be one of them. Another might be pizza, like our New York Pizza. What would your third go-to Italian recipe be?
Thinking of Making it Yourself?
Don’t let the amount of ingredients intimidate you. First, print out the recipe and tick off all the things you already have. Then you will have a small and convenient list to take to the store. Preparation saves time. It’s difficult to resist marching ahead quickly, but getting all your ducks in order helps a lot. Even if it’s chicken you’re cooking.
Make it Now With This Simple Cooking At Home Is Fun Recipe:
Beef Cheek Ragu
- medium pot
- large pot
- medium frying pan
- 1 kg beef cheeks
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 100 g pancetta chopped
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 carrot chopped finely
- 2 celery stalks chopped finely
- 1 tbsp garlic clove minced
- 4 bay leaves
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 750 ml beef stock
- 500 ml passata
- 3 tbsp oregano
- Pappardelle cooked to serve
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees. In an ovenproof saucepan, heat on the stove to medium-high heat.
- Add oil and beef cheeks, cooking in 2-3 batches until browned. Set aside. Using the same pan, add pancetta, cooking for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Reduce pan to medium heat, add the butter, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and bay leaves. Cook for 5 minutes, until onion softens.
- Add wine, beef stock, passata, and oregano, stir well. Return beef and pancetta to the saucepan, bring to the boil.
- Cover the saucepan and place in the oven for 1.5 hours. Turn beef cheeks over, then cook for another hour, until cheeks are tender.
- Remove from oven and continue cooking on the stove for 20-30 minutes, allowing the sauce to thicken. Shred the beef cheeks with 2 forks, then serve cheeks and sauce on freshly cooked pappardelle.